Overview & History
Zakir Hussain Rose Garden or simply known as Rose Garden, is one of the most beautiful botanical parks in Chandigarh. The garden named after former President of India, Mr. Zakir Hussain, was built in 1967 under the counsel of Chandigarh’s first Chief Commissioner, Dr, M.S. Randhawa. This garden was a result of Dr. Randhawa’s love for botany and horticulture. Being spread over an area of 30 acres, with 1600 different species of roses and over 50000 rose bushes this is the largest rose garden in Asia.
Rose garden is located in sector 16 Chandigarh and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city. Although it is mainly known for its wide-ranging display of roses, this garden is home to several types of trees and medicinal herbs and shrugs. Some of the different types of trees here include bel, Harar, camphor, bahera, and yellow Gulmohar. To enhance the charm of an already picture pretty view, this garden is laid out with water fountains that showcase a visual light performance in the evening.
The garden serves as the host to many events over the year, but one of the most awaited events hosted at the Rose garden is the annual Rose Festival. It’s a cultural event that spans 3 days to showcase and celebrate different breeds of rose plantations in the garden.
What to expect when visiting the Rose Garden?
Rose Garden is the most astonishing tourist spot in Chandigarh. The first thing to expect when entering the garden is the pleasant fragrance of wide varieties of roses that will accompany you throughout your walk around the garden. This pleasant awakening of senses that this scent gives you a heavenly experience and makes you fall in love with mother nature.
The entry inside the garden is free of cost, anyone can visit within the allowed hours which are usually 6:00 am to 10:00 pm. The garden begins with a beautiful stone pathway from both ends which quickly Segway into different rows of rose beds built at a respectable distance. These rose beds are accompanied by a short description of the type of rose you are looking at and where it came from. Roses from all over the world including, north America, Europe, and most of Asia are present here. There is no place in the world where you will find so many varieties of roses in one garden. Trees and other shrugs are spread throughout the garden and are a big source of shade for picnic enthusiasts.
The garden also houses some fountains and streams, which gives a closer to the nature vibe when visiting. These fountains are installed with lights that perform a visual light show in the evening for people’s amusement. Along all these ravishing entities that this garden holds one of the simple yet grand addition is a wind chimes tree, which sounds beautiful whenever wind wooshes around it.
What is the best time to visit the Rose Garden?
The Zakir Hussain Rose garden is throughout the year filled with the rich and lifelike fragrance of the flowers along with their rainbow-like colors. Some seasons are although are more desirable to visit the garden than others. To experience the magic of fully blossomed aromatic roses the best time to visit is the month of February and March. These months perfect weather-wise and also plants and shrugs are in their full bloom during these months.
More about the annual Rose festival
Rose Festival is an annual tradition that the city beautiful hosts. This is a 3 day festival that is organized at the end of February or the first week of March. This festival is celebrated to showcase the fully blossomed roses and trees in the garden. people from all over the city and nearby states attend this festival in huge numbers.
The actual festival consists of many elements,
- The garden is decorated in different themes each year but mainly the basic theme of nature. The entrance to the festival is a pathway covered with a green leaf laid tent which feels like the entrance to paradise on earth. The flower beds are decorated and descriptive placks are laid out for all visitors to know more about the species of roses they are seeing.
- In the premises of the main garden, there are numerous events organized, which consists of competitions like, photography, painting, and choosing of rose prince and princess for infants and rose king and queens for adults. Some exhibits like vintage car shows, traditional dance troupes are also shown during the festival.
- The other part of the festival takes place in the adjoining leisure valley. It serves as the host of all musical and dance performances along with a full-fledged fair that is put up for your amusement. Thousands of people attend these musical concerts throughout this festival. Mainly the last day of the event is observed as a musical night, the renowned artists from the Punjab or Bollywood use to perform there.
- The fairground has some of the most beloved rides for all kids and adults. The Ferris wheel gives the whole view of the rose garden from the top.
- Municipal Corporation of Chandigarh also offers the helicopter ride to the visitors. The helicopters starts flying from around 8 am till the sunset. They use to fly from the Sector 17 Parade Ground, go over Sector 17 Plaza, Sukhna Lake, Rose Garden and return to the Parade Ground. The ride around Chandigarh usually takes six to seven minutes. It provides a beautiful view of Chandigarh. People can book tickets in advance on MC website to secure this dream ride.