Chandigarh Railway Station
Chandigarh is the favourite place to spend vacations and quality time with loved ones. Thanks to the railway connectivity, travelling to the Tricity is no more a hassle. With two railway stations in town, one in Chandigarh and one in Mohali, the connectivity has increased manifolds and has helped Tricity to welcome people from all zones of the country. Chandigarh junction railway station and Mohali railway station is connected to almost all the major cities across the country making it convenient for people to travel to and from Chandigarh.
About Chandigarh Railway Station
The Chandigarh junction railway station, located on the outskirts of Chandigarh is one of the top hundred booking stations around the country. It falls under Northern railways and has been graded at the B level, as the station hosts around 50 to 100 long-distance trains in a week. The nearest A+ and A level stations are Ambala Cant Jn, Ludhiana(LDH), New Delhi (NDLS), and Jalandhar Cant (JRC). As we all know that India has one of the biggest railway connectivity all over the world, thus the government has assigned codes to every railway station to avoid any confusion. The Chandigarh railway station code is CDG, and all the online and offline travel portals display the same while booking the tickets.
History of Chandigarh Railway Station
The first railway line connecting Chandigarh was the Delhi-Panipat-Kalka line, inaugurated in the year 1891, followed by the Ludhiana Chandigarh rail link in 2013. The first line to be electrified was Ambala-Chandigarh in 1998, and following the footsteps, the Chandigarh-Kalka line was electrified too in 1999.
Some interesting facts about the CDG Railway Station:
- Almost 106 trains pass through the Chandigarh railway station, out of which Kalka-Howrah Mail, Amritsar Mail, Dehradun express, Allahabad Junction are some of the major trains passing through.
- The station is built at an elevation of around 1080 feet.
The CDG station has a total number of six platforms, making it convenient for multiple trains to run at the same time.
- The first train to arrive at a station is Kalka-Howrah mail at 1.20 am and the last one is the Amritsar-Saharsa festival special at 11.20 pm.
- The Chandigarh railway station got revamped in 2014, and finally got escalators for the ease of people travelling to different cities.
- The railway station is 8 km away from the bus stand and is at a 7 km distance from the airport.
- Facilities like a telephone booth, bookstalls, refreshment shop, waiting area, police check post, reception area, and women helpline are available round the clock.
- For the ease of passengers information about the arrival and departure of trains is displayed on the digital boards at the entry. Also, all the platforms are equipped with a digital board displaying the position of coach numbers to avoid any chaos at the time of arrival.
- Ample of parking space is available at the front of the railway station. Space is enough to accommodate auto-rickshaws, two-wheelers and four-wheelers. The parking rates at Chandigarh railway station has recently been revised. Now commuters with four-wheelers have to pay Rs. 30 for two hours and Rs. 15 will be charged for every additional hour. However, people with two-wheelers will have to pay Rs. 15 for the first two hours, and Rs. 10 for every additional hour. For the people who avail of the monthly parking facility, the charges have been revised to Rs. 4000/-.
- For the people who have early morning or late night trains, there are multiple hotels around the railway station at affordable charges for overnight stay. The nearest hotel is The hotel Whitehouse Chandigarh railway station. It is not even a KM away from the station and offers the best of the services at the most affordable prices.
Train Schedule from Chandigarh Railway Station
For the ease of our readers, here is the schedule of the trains from Chandigarh:
|Kalka – New Delhi Shatabdi Express (12012)||18:15||18:23||S, M, T, W, T, F, S|
|New Delhi – Kalka Shatabdi Express (12011)||11:05||11:13||S, M, T, W, T, F, S|
|Delhi Sarai Rohilla – Kalka Himalayan Queen Exp (14095)||10:25||10:31||S, M, T, W, T, F, S|
|Lal Kuan – Amritsar Express (14615)||09:20||09:30||Sunday|
|Bhiwani – Kalka Ekta Express (14795)||10:25||10:31||S, M, T, W, T, F, S|
|Chandigarh – Lucknow Express (15012)||Starts from CDG Station||17:15||S, M, T, W, T, F, S|
|Chandigarh – Indore Weekly Express (19308)||Starts from CDG Station||19:15||Friday|
|Kalka – SMVD Katra Express (14503)||19:10||19:32||Thursday, Friday|
|Chandigarh – Mumbai Bandra T SF Express (22452)||Starts from CDG station||05:40||Sunday, Wednesday|
Chandigarh Railway Station Address:
Industrial Area 1, Daria, Chandiagrh, India, 160102
Chandigarh Railway Station Contact Number: 0755-6610661, 0755-4090600
Mohali Railway Station
Railway station Mohali is in the Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar district of Punjab. Like Chandigarh railway station, Mohali railway station falls under North Zone.
It was a 112 km linking project between Chandigarh and Ludhiana. The project was completed in three phases as follows:
- The first phase was completed in the year 2006 linking Chandigarh and Morinda.
- The Second phase was to link the line with Sahnewal and Ludhiana via the Ambala-atari line. This phase was completed in November 2012.
- The third phase got completed in April 2013, linking the Morinda line with Ludhiana. The entire Chandigarh-Ludhiana line is electrified.
Here are some of the interesting facts about the railway station:
- The railway station is built at an elevation of 1020 feet.
- The Mohali railway station code is SASN.
- It falls under grade D as very few long-distance trains pass through the station.
- There are two platforms at the station.
Train Schedule from Mohali Railway Station
|Chandigarh – Firozpur Cantt Sutlez Exp (UnReserved) (14629||04:32||04:34||S, M, T, W, T, F, S|
|New Delhi – Una Jan Shatabdi Express (12057)||19:20||19:22||S, M, T, W, T, F, S|
|Chandigarh – Amritsar Intercity SF Express (12411)||06:52||06:54||S, M, T, W, T, F, S|
|Kalka – SMVD Katra Express (14503)||19:47||19:49||Thu, Fri|
|Saharsa – Amritsar Jansadharan Weekly Express (15531)||08:00||08:00||Monday|
For the detailed schedule of trains from both Mohali and Chandigarh railway station, it is recommended to log in to irctc.com.
Mohali Railway Station Address:
Balongi Road, Industrial Area, Phase 9, SAS Nagar, 140308
Mohali Railway Station Contact Number: 0172-2641651
Most Liked Places
Explore Related Transport
Technology has blessed us in many ways. It has made our life convenient and stress-free. One area where technology is playing a vital role in savin...
Chandigarh is one city that has everything, from urban infrastructure to much-needed peace, and from good education to party hangout places. Howeve...