Chandigarh Airport with Flight Details
Chandigarh is one city that has everything, from urban infrastructure to much-needed peace, and from good education to party hangout places. However, for many years one question that kept burning the hearts of the city residents is that when this beautiful city will have its international airport. After a lot of hue and cry, in 2011 the government finally declared Chandigarh airport as a custom airport.
The status made it eligible for operating international flights, but even then no international flight ever took off till 2016. Isn’t it strange?? We have many such intriguing details about this Chandigarh-Mohali airport that will surely give you a glimpse of the journey of transformation of a domestic airport to Chandigarh international airport.
About Chandigarh International Airport
The Chandigarh airport serves the people of Tricity, along with the many from the adjoining states of Punjab and Haryana. The interesting fact about the airport is that its runway falls in Chandigarh while the international terminal has its base on the south side of the Mohali that comes under the state of Punjab. At present, about six airlines are flying from the city airport, and have successfully connected this city beautiful with as many as 15 destinations from around the country.
History of the Airport
Initially, when Chandigarh had no airport, all civil and commercial flights were used to operate from the base of the Air force station of the city. The first-ever flight flown from Chandigarh was in 1970 and the destination was Delhi. However, the city always missed having an airport. After a lot of contemplation and efforts from the respective state governments, on 14 April 2011, the city got its airport. The happiness of the city residents knew no boundaries, especially when authorities declared it as the custom airport in August 2011. The custom airport status made the place eligible to have international flights on board. But this happiness was short-lived as no international flight came on board till 2016.
The Punjab Government had to go through a lot of legal hassles to acquire the status of an international airport. It is said that the state government bought around 300 acres of land in Jheurheri Village, located on the south side of the then-existing terminal. The deal was closed for around 450 crores, and the intention was to build a full-fledged international terminal for the residents.
Both Punjab and Haryana Government has 24.5% stake, whereas the rest 51% stake is being held by the Airport authorities of India. The construction of the new terminal got completed in 2015, and the entire construction project cost around 950 crores. However, even after spending around 1400 crores to make the terminal operational, no international flight served the city residents.
Looking at the scenario, the Mohali industries association filed a petition in the Punjab and Haryana high court and demanded the airport authorities take some action concerning the same. After a lot of hearings, finally, the city got what it always wanted. In September 2016, IndiGo and Air India commenced their international operations from Chandigarh Airport. The first-ever international flight from Chandigarh was to Dubai, followed by Sharjah. Since then, there is no looking back and Tricity residents are happily enjoying their flights to the respective destinations.
Some interesting facts about the Chandigarh Airport
- Many people are not aware of the fact that the actual Chandigarh airport name is Shaheed Bhagat Singh International airport. It is a tribute to the great Bhagat Singh who laid down his life for the freedom of our country.
- In September 2015, the Prime Minister of India Sh. Narender Modi inaugurated the new international terminal. The terminal was much appreciated by everyone present at the inauguration ceremony.
- In 2020, Airport council International awarded Chandigarh airport as the best airport for following and maintaining hygiene measures.
- It has been developed and designed by Larsen and Turbo. The theme of the airport is very much in line with the nature of the city, which is eco-friendly and peaceful. The interiors are done beautifully with a lot of plants giving a vibe of a botanical garden.
- The previous domestic terminal is now being used as a flying club.
- The new international terminal has enough space to accommodate four ready-to-fly aircraft, and around eight standing aircraft.
- Spread across 54000 sq metre, the first phase of the terminal is spacious enough to accommodate around 1500 to 1600 passengers at a time. The parking space is also enough for accomodating 150 vehicles at a time.
- The first floor is dedicated to Chandigarh airport departures, whereas the ground floor is for Chandigarh airport arrivals only.
- The airport also used the runway of the Indian air force base.
- The runway was expanded in 2019 and is now spread across 12,400 sq feet.
- GoAir was the first aviation company to launch the night flight from Chandigarh in 2019. Since then, the airport is operational round the clock for the ease of travelers.
- The Airport is being managed and run by the Chandigarh international airport limited. Till now, the airport does not have any official website, but the work is in progress and it may have one very soon.
Chandigarh Airport flight schedule (IXC Airport)
Now that, we know so much about the airport in the city, let us jump to the tentative flight schedule to major cities. Also, please note that the Chandigarh airport code is IXC airport and you may easily find the flight schedule using the same:
|Delhi to Chandigarh flight||IndiGo||7.35 am|
|Air India||7.05 am|
|Alliance Air||10.40 am|
|Air India||10.40 am|
|Chandigarh to Mumbai flight||IndiGo||6.55 am|
|Chandigarh to Goa flight||IndiGo||4.15 pm|
|Chandigarh to Srinagar flight||GoAir||12.20 pm|
|Chandigarh to Ahmedabad flight||IndiGo||1.00 pm|
|Chandigarh to Bengaluru flight||IndiGo||7.25am|
|Chandigarh to Jaipur flight||IndiGo||5.30am|
|Chandigarh to Dharamshala flight||Alliance Air||10.55 am|
|Air India||10.55 am|
Chandigarh Airport International Flights
Chandigarh doesn’t have a lot of international flights taking off from the airport as of now.
- Chandigarh to Dubai (IndiGo): Departure 3.45 pm, arrival at 6.20 pm.
- Chandigarh to Sharjah (Air India Express): Departure 3.20 pm, arrival at 5.05 pm.
Hotels near Chandigarh Airport
For the people who have flights early morning or late at nights, there are numerous hotels near the airport wherein you can stay and relax till your flight arrives.
Hotel Eurasia Mohali International Airport: The hotel is just 1 km away from the airport. With reasonable prices, the hotel has much to offer in terms of comfort and convenience.
Ramada Plaza Chandigarh: 2 Kms from the airport, the hotel is one of the best luxury hotels in Tricity. With an outdoor swimming pool and a terrace, it is a delight to stay in one of these hotels.
Country Inn and Suites By Radisson: Around 3 km away from the airport, the hotel is at walking distance from the paras Downtown Mall. With three dining options and the swimming pool, the hotel is the perfect option to spend time while waiting for your flight.
Hotel Sapphire, Hotel Orbit, Hotel Hamilton, Hotel tree inn are some other options to look out for.
Connectivity to the Airport
- The airport is about 14 km away from Chandigarh bus stand, sector 17 and about 10 km away from the Sector 43 bus stand.
- CTU has an app, wherein one can check the schedule, route and time of the buses directly connecting to the airport.
- Cab facility is easily available from all the major points of the Tricity.
We, hope that Wow Chandigarh has helped you to gain insight into the city’s very own Shaheed Bhagat Singh international airport.
Chandigarh Airport Address:
Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport, New Civil Air Terminal,
Mohali District, SAS Nagar, Punjab 140306
Chandigarh Airport contact number / Mohali Airport contact number: 0172- 265 9886
Most Liked Places
Explore Related Transport
Chandigarh is the favourite place to spend vacations and quality time with loved ones. Thanks to the railway connectivity, travelling to the Tricit...
Chandigarh has never failed to amaze people with its well-planned strategies. The authorities put their best efforts forward to ensure that the fun...