Overview & History
The Department of Forest & Wildlife, Chandigarh has come up with something truly amazing for the residents – Walk through Aviaries at Nagar Van behind Sukhna Lake.
The Chandigarh Bird Park was inaugurated on the 16th of November by the first lady of India, Smt. Savita Kovind. For a city with so many exciting places to visit, these two aviaries are surely going to be a great addition as far as tourism is concerned. If you are someone who is fascinated by the pure beauty of exotic birds, this state-of-the-art Bird Park in Chandigarh is the place to be for a peaceful and soothing time. There are a lot of common birds you can find here such as Black Swans, Wood Ducks, Cockatoo, Love Birds, Macaw, and more.
The idea behind introducing these aviaries is to spread awareness regarding bird conservation among the locals, especially the young audience. These aviaries are a great initiative by the Forest & Wildlife department which are now accessible to all. These stunning enclosures are designed to keep the flight of the birds in mind. It provides 58 feet flying height with a total ground area being approximately 200×150 feet. The Chandigarh Bird Park is simply remarkable and is built with the idea to create as perfect a natural habitat as possible for these birds. It is surrounded by countless plants to provide a safe and suitable habitat for each and every one of these birds. Situated near Sukhna Lake, the Bird Park, Chandigarh is inclined to boost the city’s tourism as it is going to be another popular tourist spot soon.
Upcoming Attractions to Bird Park
Chandigarh Forest & Wildlife Department is ready to bring some new birds to the Chandigarh Bird Park this November. The new birds will include American Ducks, Ostrich & Emu. Initially, the department will bring 1-2 pairs of birds. Bird Park will turn one this November. So far 6 lakh visitors are recorded at Chandigarh Bird Park.
Attractions at Chandigarh Bird Park
The all-new walk-through aviaries are surely going to offer visitors a unique and exciting experience. Within no time, it is expected to catch the attention of the locals as well as the tourists visiting Chandigarh. In case, you are planning a day out here at Chandigarh Bird Park near Sukhna Lake, check out a few things you must know:
- Two Separate Aviaries: The Chandigarh Bird Park has two different aviaries for terrestrial birds and aquatic birds. You can check these two out whenever you visit the place. Both these aviaries are home to some of the most beautiful exotic birds.
- Extensive range of birds: These aviaries are said to have around 1,500 exotic birds of 46 different species. So if you are a bird lover in Chandigarh, you don’t have to go too far to check out various rare bird species.
- Cafeteria: Once you are done birdwatching throughout the aviaries, you are sure to get hungry. Luckily for you, at the exit point of the bird park, there’s a cafeteria where you can enjoy light snacks and drinks.
- Souvenir Shop: If you are looking for something to commemorate your trip to Chandigarh Bird Park, Sukhna Lake, check out the Exotica Souvenir Shop. Here you can buy quite a few items including t-shirts to take home and keep the memories of a lovely day out at the bird park alive.
Some interesting stats about Chandigarh Bird Park
- Area of the Park: 200×150 feet (approx)
- Length of the Tracks: 6.5 acres
- Species of the Birds: 46 Species
- Number of Birds (approx): 1500 Birds
Timings and Ticket Price
- Entry Ticket fee for Bird Park (Adult) [Indian] Rs. 50/-
- Entry ticket fee for Bird Park (Adult) [Foreigner] Rs. 100/-
- Entry ticket fee for Bird Park (Children 5 to 12 years) Rs. 30/-
- Entry ticket fee for Tamed* Section (Adult/ Children) [Indian] Rs. 100/-
- Entry ticket fee for Tamed* Section (Adult) [Foreigner] Rs. 500/-
Tamed Section: A special enclosure has been made for tamed birds where people will be allowed to interact with the birds in close proximity. They can also click pictures and touch the tamed birds but under the staff’s supervision.
FAQ’s Chandigarh Bird Park
The Chandigarh Bird Park is situated at Nagar Van, on the backside of Sukhna Lake, Sector 1, Chandigarh. You can walk to the place from Sukhna Lake within 10-12 minutes.
Yes, you can take a camera along with you when visiting the aviaries so that you can capture the beauty of these exotic birds.
In case, you are planning a trip to the Chandigarh Bird Park, November to March is the best time to visit. The weather is pleasant and you can make the most of your day here. Try visiting in the morning hours, when the birds are active.
Some of the top aquatic and terrestrial birds that you will see here include Black Swan, White Swan, Wood Duck, Blue Gold Macaw, Green Wing Macaw, African Grey Parrot, Rainbow Lorikeets, Finches, and Golden Pheasant.
Apart from two different aviaries for bird lovers, the place is a great family hangout spot as it has a cafeteria too. Besides, there’s a souvenir shop to buy exciting items as a sweet memory of your trip here.
Chandigarh Bird Park will remain open for the public on all days except on Mondays & Tuesdays.
Entry for visitors will be allowed from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Last entry at 4:00 PM)