Overview & History
The Rock Garden is one of the most famous tourist spots in Chandigarh. People from all over India visit this masterpiece and often plan their trips specifically to see the garden. Lt. Nek Chand Saini, a government official starting building this garden secretly on government land in the year 1957. The secret was held for a long time but was discovered by authorities in 1975. Almost on the brink of demolition, Nek Chand gained public support for the garden and it was finally open to the public in 1976. The garden is also called Nek Chand’s Rock Garden
The garden is made up of waste materials including, industrial and home waste. The pathways are made out of cement and rocks and all the walls are decorated using materials like broken ceramics, bangles, water pipes, etc. The pathways are throughout the park are covered on the sides by sculptures, these include animal sculptures, cultural sculptures, and some unusual artistic shapes. The garden is spread in the area of 40 acres and houses nearly 5000 sculptures.
What to expect when visiting the Rock Garden?
The Rock garden is one of the most visited spots in Chandigarh with nearly 5000 visitors every day. It is a spectacular piece of art that was dreamt by one man and is now a pride of the city. Some of the things that might interest you to visit the Rock Garden are:
- Best out of Waste: as children, we have always done the activity of making best out of waste but to see a 40-acre garden made on that principle is not only nostalgic but it makes you appreciate art and hard work. Sculptures and art made out of broken glass, ceramics, bangles, and waste construction material is very eye-pleasing.
- Cultural sculptures: rock garden is famous for its cultural representations through sculptures. These sculptures include animals, tribal people, and religious figures.
- Waterfalls: the garden is laid out with two fabulous waterfalls. These are perfect photography spots in the garden and you can find several people posing here with their loved ones.
- Food and amusement: the very end of a garden is an open area where there are playful elements for people to enjoy along with a canteen styled food counter where you can order street food, ice-creams, and drinks. Some of the fun elements at the park include swings, a magic mirror room, an aquarium, and camel rides.
Timings and Ticket Price
- The timings of the garden are 9:00 am – 7:00 pm in the summers and 9:00 am – 6:00 pm in the winters.
- The ticket price is 30rs. for adults and 10rs. for children.