Overview & History
Pinjore Garden also known as the Yadavindra garden in a 17th-century garden located in Pinjore near Panchkula. It is a Mughal architectural garden that was built by Nawab Fidal Khan Koka who was a renowned architect of his time. He built the garden for his brother Aurangzeb who was the Mughal emperor at that time. It is said that this garden was for Aurangzeb’s summer retreat and that he himself had quite an input on the design of the garden. The accurate date of the building of the garden is unknown.
The garden is built in a traditional Mughal style. It is a terraced garden with 7 layers and the garden complex houses different monuments including the Hawa Mahal, Rang Mahal, Jal Mahal, and Shish Mahal. The rest of the garden is laid out with ponds, flowers, trees, and fountains.
What to expect when visiting the Pinjore Garden?
The Pinjore Garden is a sure-shot spot on everyone’s to-visit list when in Chandigarh. It is one of its kind garden in this region which beautifully showcases the Mughal and Rajasthani architecture. As in the later years, it was renovated by rulers of the Punjab region, you can sense a cultural representation of Punjab here as well. Some of the things that might interest you to visit the garden are:
- Mughal Architecture: the 7 layered terraces which is a traditional Mughal styled architecture can be experienced here. It is a haven for photographers and lovers of history.
- Nature: The Garden is laid out with various species of trees and flowers along with
fountains and ponds. This makes you feel very close to nature when visiting the garden
- Zoo: the garden complex has an in-house zoo that showcases various animals and birds. It adds to the overall environment of the garden.
- The garden heritage train: the garden complex can be seen in a special toy train
that takes you through the garden and shows all the different monuments there
- Camel rides: the garden complex offers camel rides for kids and adults to enjoy and adjoining is also a funfair for kids.
- Street foods: the garden has various food stalls for people to enjoy their time out.
How to Reach The Pinjore Garden?
Local buses from Chandigarh and Panchkula all have a route here and taxis are widely available in the city including auto Rickshaws. The garden also has vast parking for private vehicles.
Timings and Ticket Prices
The garden is open from 7:00 am – 9:30 pm. The ticket price is 20 rs. Per person and free for children below 3. The best time to visit the garden is between September to December and February to May as the weather is pleasant during this time.