Chattbir Zoo is a zoological park located in Chhat village near Chandigarh. The biggest Zoo in the northern Punjab region it is spread in an area of 505 acres and is home to roughly 103 species of mammals, birds, and reptiles.
The Zoo was constructed in the 1970s and was inaugurated in 1977 by Governor of Punjab Mr. Mahendra Mohan Chaudhary. It was first called Mahendra Chaudhary Zoological park but was later renamed. The main purpose of the Zoo is to preserve biodiversity and provide animals with the best care possible. The initial animals for the Zoo were brought in from a Zoo in Guwahati, Assam and now it is considered one of the best zoological parks in northern India.
What to expect when visiting Chhatbir Zoo?
The Zoo is widely known for its unique species of mammals, birds, and reptiles. It nearly houses 103 species and 1200 animals. Some of the major attractions that might pique your interest to visit the Chhatbir Zoo are:
- Variety of species: the Zoo is a house to different animals, some of the species are very rare and can only be experienced through such Zoological parks. Some of these rare species include blackbuck, white tiger, Bengal tiger, hyenas, white peafowl, spotted eagles, horned owl, and red sand boa.
- Lion safari: Chhatbir Zoo is known for its lion safari. Watching the lions up-close in their natural habitat is a once in a lifetime experience.
- Bird aviary: Chhatbir Zoo has the longest bird aviary in India that is 300 meters. This bird aviary is a closed and protected walk that showcases all the different bird species and various biodiversity types. It is a fun trip for kids as it gets interested in learning more about Mother Nature.
- Dinasour Park: The cabinet minister, Balbir Singh Sidhu, inaugurated the Dinasour Park in the Chatbir Zoo on the auspicious occasion of the 75th Independence Day. The park exhibits life-like robots of dinosaurs that are interactive. It will display scientific facts and information about dinosaurs.
- A whopping amount of ₹5 crores is spent on the magnificent facility. The Dinosaur Park has attracted a majority of followers. It is one of a kind and built to match the international standards of zoo education about the dinosaurs in ancient times. It is a creative and fun way to learn about them and create scientific awareness about them. The Dinosaur Park is now open for the public to visit. It has become a major attraction for people in Chandigarh since the day it opened. If you ever visit Chandigarh or are looking for an exciting place to check out around the Tricity, the Dinosaur Park is a great option.
Timings & Ticket Price
- The Chhatbir Zoo timings are 9:30 am – 4:30 pm.
- Zoo remains closed on every Monday along with 26th January, 15th August & 2nd October.
- The ticket price is 50 for kids (3-12Yrs) 100 for Adults. There is an additional Rs.150 camera fee for 4 hours. The lion safari is also a great experience to have and it costs 75 rs. per head.
- Battery operated Carts: Mini carts( 6 seater) – Rs. 500 & Maxi carts(12 seater)- Rs.1000