Chattbir Zoo is a zoological park located in Chhat village near Chandigarh. The biggest Zoo in the northern Punjab region it is spread in an area of 505 acres and is home to roughly 103 species of mammals, birds, and reptiles.
The Zoo was constructed in the 1970s and was inaugurated in 1977 by Governor of Punjab Mr. Mahendra Mohan Chaudhary. It was first called Mahendra Chaudhary Zoological park but was later renamed. The main purpose of the Zoo is to preserve biodiversity and provide animals with the best care possible. The initial animals for the
Zoo were brought in from a Zoo in Guwahati, Assam and now it is considered one of the best zoological parks in northern India.
What to expect when visiting Chhatbir Zoo?
The Zoo is widely known for its unique species of mammals, birds, and reptiles. It nearly houses 103 species and 1200 animals. Some of the major attractions that might pique your interest to visit the Chhatbir Zoo are:
- Variety of species: the Zoo is a house to different animals, some of the species are very rare and can only be experienced through such Zoological parks. Some of these rare species include blackbuck, white tiger, Bengal tiger, hyenas, white peafowl, spotted eagles, horned owl, and red sand boa.
- Lion safari: Chhatbir Zoo is known for its lion safari. Watching the lions up-close in their natural habitat is a once in a lifetime experience.
- Bird aviary: Chhatbir Zoo has the longest bird aviary in India that is 300 meters. This bird aviary is a closed and protected walk that showcases all the different bird species and various biodiversity types. It is a fun trip for kids as it gets interested in learning more about Mother Nature.
Timings & Ticket Price
- The Chhatbir Zoo timings are 9:30 am – 4:30 pm.
- The ticket price is Rs.40. for Children and Rs.80. for adults. There is an additional Rs.150 camera fee for 4 hours. The lion safari is also a great experience to have and it costs 75 rs. per head.