History and Overview
Panjab University is one of India’s oldest universities and unquestionably the best university in Chandigarh. A public university funded by both state and union Governments, it establishes its roots to University of the Punjab in Lahore which was built in 1882. During the partition of India in 1947, the partition councils at the state and centre levels could not reach a consensus about the division of the university. But since there were no universities in the east Punjab region the government decided to set up a new university in Solan which was called the East Punjab University. With over a decade of teaching departments bouncing between the cities of Hoshiarpur, Delhi, Jalandhar, and Amritsar the university got its new campus in Chandigarh which we now know as the Panjab University, Chandigarh.
The University is located in sector 14 and sector 25 Chandigarh (also called the south campus). Spread over an area of 550 acres the university was designed by architect Pierre Jeanneret under the guidance of Le Corbusier. The campus houses administrative buildings, academic institutions, hostels, schools, Sports complexes, and residential properties. Each Department of the university has different facilities which include museums, auditoriums, libraries, and much more.
Apart from the main city campus the university has nearly 188 affiliate colleges in Punjab and Chandigarh. The university also has constituent colleges as well as regional centres in Punjab which include:
- Baba Balraj Panjab University Constituent College
- Panjab University Constituent College (Dharamkot)
- Panjab University Constituent College (Mokham Khan Wala)
- Panjab University Constituent College (Nihalsingh Wala)
- Panjab University Constituent College (Sikhwala)
- Shaheed Udham Singh Panjab University Constituent College (Guru Har Sahai)
- Panjab University Regional Centre, Ludhiana
- Panjab University Regional Centre, Muktsar
- Panjab University Rural Centre, Kauni
- Panjab University Swami Sarvanand Giri Regional Centre, Hoshiarpur
Panjab University Chandigarh houses over 78 different departments with hundreds of courses in different fields. These departments include main and sub departments of different academic streams which are located on the main campus in Chandigarh. Apart from this there are the regional centres, constituent colleges, and all the affiliated colleges.
Some of the major departments on the main campus of Panjab University are as follows:
- Arts: Arts Department is one of the biggest departments in PU Chandigarh. With the most specialized courses the subjects here include history, philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology, public administration, geography, social ethics, human rights, and much more. There also is the school of communication studies which offers diploma, masters, and research degrees in journalism and mass communication.
- Business Management and Commerce: The business management and commerce department is one of Panjab University’s most known departments around the country. This is because it houses some of the excellent business schools that offer specialized MBA as well as Hospitality Management programs. These schools include:
- University Business School (UBS): University Business School is Panjab University’s most well-known institute with one of the most diverse batches of students from all over the country and abroad. This inclusive and diverse environment ensures overall development of the student. The business school offers not only traditional MBA programmes but also specialized subjects that fulfill the needs of the modern economy. The aim of University Business School is to not only provide theoretical knowledge but to ready the students for practical work in the real world which makes it one of the best Business Schools in India.
- University Institute of Applied Management Sciences (UIAMS): UIAMS is another great business school in Panjab University that offers a great variety of specialized sectoral MBA programmes to fulfill the demand of specialized skilled people in the business industry. Admissions in UIAMS, Chandigarh are based on Panjab University management entrance test (PU MET).
- University Institute of Hotel and Tourism Management (UIHTM): UIHTM is a hotel and tourism management school in Panjab University which offers bachelor and master degrees in specialized subjects. This institute is widely popular among students from the tricity area as it provides great exposure to students in the world of hospitality management through their excellent practical and theoretical curriculum.
- Design and Fine Arts: The Design and Fine Arts department of Panjab University is a much specialized department. The courses include bachelor, master, and research degrees in subjects like fine arts, Indian theatre, and music (vocal and instrumental).
- Education: The Education department of Panjab University is one of the best in the country. The training facilities for future educators are world class and subject matter is finely designed to help grasp as much detail as possible in a student’s respective subjects.
- Languages: The languages department of Panjab University offers a plethora of courses as bachelor, master, and research studies for languages which include English, French, German, Hindi, Punjabi, Russian, and Chinese & Tibetan Languages.
- Law: The Department of Laws of Panjab University offers master and bachelor courses in legal studies. The department is one of the most sought after departments in Panjab University by students from all over the country. The other colleges include University Institute of Legal Studies (UILS) on the university campus and University Institute of Laws in Ludhiana.
- Medical Sciences: The medical sciences department houses one of the best colleges in Chandigarh which is Dr. Harvansh Singh Judge Institute of Dental Sciences and Hospital. The college as the name suggests offers dental studies which include master and bachelor courses in Dental surgery. Another highly sought after college for dental students in the country, this institute offers the best teachers and facilities to aid a student’s professional growth.
- Multi-Faculty Departments: This department of Panjab University houses the Department of Evening Studies and University School of Open Learning (USOL). These departments have multiple faculties with a wide variety of courses including streams like commerce, arts, and media. This department is a great option for people thinking of continuing studies at a later age and are keen to learn new subjects. It is also a great option for students who join jobs or internships while studying. This helps the students continue their education in evening classes or as a correspondence course from USOL.
- Pharmaceutical Sciences: This department has the University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences which offers bachelor, master, and research studies in pharmacy as well as a few specialized subjects like quality assurance and pharmaceutical analysis. A great department with world class facilities and excellent teachers it is a great place for students looking to make a career in fields of pharmacy.
- Engineering and Technology: Engineering and Technology is one of the most respected departments in Panjab University. It has aided some of the most successful individuals in the field of engineering in this country. The subjects are carefully curated to fulfil the requirements of the modern world. The teaching methods and practical work is extensively designed to help students get ready for any challenge they face in the field. The best college from this department is the University Institute of Engineering and Technology (UIET). It offers master, bachelor, and research studies in traditional as well as modern engineering subjects. For detailed information about the subject matter you can visit the Panjab University Website.
- Science: Along with the arts department the science department is another big department of Panjab University. It offers a plethora of courses as bachelor, master, and research studies. The subjects offered in the science department include Anthropology, nuclear medicine, biochemistry, biophysics, botany, chemistry, physics, zoology, geology, statistics, mathematics, computer science, environment studies, and many more related subjects. The teachers are great and the course materials are carefully curated to aid students in their journey in becoming world class researchers, educators, and skilled working professionals. The practical laboratories are a big part of this department which can be seen by the university’s dedication to make them some of the best in the world.
As mentioned earlier Panjab University takes pride in providing the best quality of education to students which is why it is one of the best government university in Chandigarh. To fulfil these goals Panjab University has a bunch of facilities for students from academic to extra-curricular to residential in nature which aids the overall development of students and gives them the ease to put all their focus on their courses.
Some of these include:
- Hostels There are over 17 residential halls (hostels on the campus) which can accommodate over 6000 people. 9 of these are for women and 8 for men.
- Sports Sports complexes with world class facilities including all season swimming pool, cricket pitch, tennis courts, football fields, and much more.
- Cafeterias Students cafeteria in an open and hygienic environment where students for all departments can hangout and socialize while having some of the most delicious food in all Chandigarh.
- Library A five storeyed central library with a capacity of accommodating over 500 readers at a time. It includes not only academic books and papers but also has a computer centre for studying and research purposes.
- Laboratories World Class laboratories in each departments whether it is science, computers, history, or any other specialized fields,
- Local Markets Markets with all kinds of vendors including stationery, bookshops, refreshment centres and much more are located inside the university premises. This avoids any inconvenience to the students who live in campus hostels.
These are just some of the facilities which help students bring out their best from their courses. Apart from these each department has its own specialized centres inside the buildings including all off campus Panjab University Colleges in Chandigarh.
Admissions and Examinations
Panjab University offers a wide variety of courses and the criteria for admissions in these courses vary from course to course. At graduation level some specialized courses like BCA/MCA (and many more) are filled through a common entrance test which is different for both UG and PG. Whereas some seats in courses like MBA or engineering are filled through central admission tests like CAT and JEE. There are also direct admissions after passing 12th based on cut-off percentages for different courses.
The process for Panjab University admissions is very centralized and can be easily navigated through the PU Chandigarh website which is https://puchd.ac.in/. Here you can find all the notifications, brochures, and all the Panjab University admission forms.
If you have any problem navigating the website you can also visit the help desk in person at the university or call at the Panjab University Chandigarh Contact number which is 1800-180-2065, 0172 2534818, 0172-2534866.
Panjab University provides one of the best overall experiences for students not just in Chandigarh but in the whole country. The beautiful city of Chandigarh compliments the university and vice -versa.
Inside the university students can take part in many extracurricular activities including sports, University elections, hanging out at the students centre, and much more. Outside they can explore the city and its magnificent landmarks. They can also visit nearby hill stations which have always been the top spot for university students to hangout.
To enhance the student experience while studying here each department has its annual cultural events and sports meets which enhances the overall student experience. On top of that Panjab University also has centralized events in which multiple departments, colleges, compete in various extracurricular activities. These events are a highlight of the university experience and students from all around the city and nearby areas visit the university to socialize at these events.
Panjab University aims at providing quality and practical education to students in their respective fields. The overall purpose of such a neatly designed curriculum is to make the students employable in the real world.
Panjab University has a central placement cell which manages the visiting companies and provides the best opportunities to students. Apart from this each department has its own placement club which helps students navigate their path when out there seeking jobs.
Panjab University has consistently been ranked in the between 30 and 50 among the top 200 universities in India by NIRF.(National Institutional Ranking Framework)
When talking about the world stage it was ranked between the ranks of 1200-1400 in QS World University Rankings for the last few years.
Panjab University has produced and helped grow some of the finest minds in India who have not only achieved great success in the country but also around the globe. Some of the former students of Panjab University in various fields of life include Manmohan Singh(former Prime Minister of India), Sushma Swaraj(Former Minister of External Affairs India), Kiran Bedi(Former IPS Officer), Yuvraj Singh(Cricketer), Ayushman Khuranna(Actor/Singer), and many more.